Project Open Hand (POH) has been delivering meals with love to the critically ill and elderly for 35 years. Currently we raise about $12 million in contributed revenue from the private sector (55%) and the government (45%). We do this through contracts, events, direct mail, corporate and foundation grants and major donor efforts.
The primary role of the Manager, Grants is to lead the management of Project Open Hand's $7M corporate, foundation and government relationship portfolio for purposes of maximizing the philanthropic investment of these constituencies. The Manager, Grants is responsible for assisting in the development and execution of strategies leading to significantly increased exposure, engagement and fundraising success from these constituencies. The geographic focus is mainly on the San Francisco Bay Area institutional giving environment, but as the organization evolves, this focus will encompass a greater national reach. The Manager, Grants works collaboratively with POH's individual giving and event teams to effectively manage and maximize a wide community of supporters. The Manager, Grants reports to the Director, Advancement (DA) and will oversee all development functions as they pertain to managing a portfolio of institutional prospects and will be an important internal and external voice in promoting a culture of philanthropy.
In partnership with the DA and in conjunction with the CEO, the position will assist in developing and implementing strategies for:
1. Attracting new relationships and increased levels of commitment from assigned constituents.
2. Supporting the stewardship of current donors including the fulfillment of sponsorship benefits.
3. Maintaining the grants calendar for annual operating and project specific efforts.
4. Leading efforts to discover, identify, understand and match the needs of POH with the goals of the various foundations, corporations and government entities.
5. Initiate opportunities for Board members and high level staff members to interact with current and prospective constituents.
Build institutional support for POH by:
- Writing compelling letters of inquiry, developing, writing and submitting competitive proposals in a timely manner.
- Managing Grants Associates, Grant Writing Consultants, Interns and Volunteers that contribute to achievement of grant relationship goals and objectives. .
- Managing financial resources available to the grants area of the Development Department.
- Preparing and leading briefing meetings, ensuring all players are knowledgeable with donor relationship and aligned with moves management strategies.
- Communicating effectively and building productive working relationships with program leaders across the organization, including Wellness, Seniors & Aging, Grocery/Nutrition Centers, and Outreach to develop proposals and fulfill grant requirements.
- Monitoring secured grants to ensure successful implementation, and outcomes-based reporting on grant-funded activities and to steward relationships.
- Working with DA and seeking cause-related marketing and branding opportunities for in-kind gifts, gifts of assets or other contributions.
- Managing the operational procedures of the Grant Program in collaboration with Development Database Administrator, includes: overseeing financial and gift processing systems, implementing recognition agreements and maintaining records of donor contacts in database systems.
- Monitoring media and funding trends related to corporate, foundation and government sectors.
- Contributing to overall Development Department efforts.
- Representing POH at industry events and formal and informal donor gatherings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.